Monday, September 8, 2014

August 11, 2014

This day is known as Victory Day in Rhode Island, but I prefer to call it August holiday.  I don't know why we can't just acknowledge the fact that we like to have a day off in the middle of August, just because it is summer.  It seems silly to me.  In any case, I have the day off, and plan on enjoying it.  It has been a busy weekend, and I have so many things to catch up on around the house.

After an early morning bike ride, I work on the zinnia beds in front of my house.  Some of them are too close, others too far apart. I pull out plants that are too close together, and spread them around to fill in areas that need more.  These plants are past the seedling stage, and are fairly strong, so I am willing to take the chance on them surviving if I replant them with the help of a lot of water.  They wilt quickly once they are in the soil, but I know they will perk up.

I have been doing hot sweaty work this morning, so I need another shower.  Of course my bag has not been behaving, so I don't feel badly about changing that too.  Unfortunately, between the pancaking stools and the frequent removal of bags, the skin on my belly is starting to get irritated.  This means I need to apply a powder underneath the adhesive and the caulking, which seems counterintuitive when you are trying to get something to stay stuck.  I have seen photos of infected skin around stomas though, and I have no interest in gaining perspective on that problem.

I decide I will call the company which manufactures the bags I use to see if they can help me with my problem of bags that don't stay stuck.  Since it is Monday, and not a holiday anywhere else in the country, they should be fully staffed and knowledgeable.  I get through, but the representative I speak with does not seem very knowledgeable about how to deal with this problem.  She does offer to send me out some sample bags.  I guess this is better than nothing.

I decide to hang all of the cards I have been receiving from a long crocheted chain on my bedroom wall.  I end up needing two chains, which makes it look like a big happy smile.  I add an elephant garland that Kaileigh's friends, Ian and Anna sent me when I first went into the hospital.  I will wake up every morning to the love and good wishes of my friends and family. What better way to start a day!

August 12, 2014

My order arrives from Coloplast today.  I am relieved, since I was only down to a few bags.  This time I have intentionally over ordered.  I don't like having to worry about whether or not I will have enough to get me through to the next delivery.

Knitting tonight is quiet, just me and Linda.  We decide to do our yarn bombing on a lamp post in front of the church.  We stitch by lamplight, and nearly cover the whole post.  It is difficult to reach the upper part of the lamp, so she and her husband hold my bike steady so I can gain the height I need to reach it.  We are certainly a bad ass bunch of yarnffiti artists.