Friday, August 15, 2014

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

 
Everyone who comes today can't help but notice the sidewalk.  It is hard to miss, and very beautiful.  It is loved and appreciated by all who see it.  It also seems to be holding up well to the traffic that travels across it.

It is so hot today, it is a two popsicle day.  This policy insures that some of the kids that don't drink too much, get a little more extra liquid than they might usually.  It is so warm, up near ninety, that even I am noticing the heat.

A parent whose two children attended my daycare years ago, Jane, turned up on my step today, bearing cookies and bread from Seven Stars.  I am happy to see her. We catch up on how our families are doing, and during our conversation, she comes up with the most wonderful idea. She is going to try and fashion a cover for my ostomy bag out of some pretty cloth.  I am very excited.

Sara made some extra American chop suey, a dish we our grandfather always made on the Third of July before we would go to the parade.  She makes it most years before she goes still, and I was telling her I have been wanting to make some, so she made it last night and shared it with me.  Yum!  

 Steve is home and doesn't need to stay up late working on anything, and I am still awake. For the first time in weeks, I am up to snuggling in bed.  Not anything more than that, just being close beside each other in bed.  It has been so difficult with picc lines and pump lines and sore incisions and bags.  The bag is still there, but it is empty and not too intrusive.  It is nice to be able to get very close, and feel his warmth and the rise and fall of his chest as he breathes, to snuggle into his back, nestle my face into his neck and breathe him in.  It makes me realize how long it has been since we have been able to lay like this, never mind take it to other places.  It makes me a feel badly that this whole cancer thing has been such an intrusion into such an intimate and important part of our relationship, but glad that it can withstand such a trying time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment