Sunday, November 2, 2014

Tuesday, October 14

I go to Miriam Hospital for another pegfilgrastim injection today.  My white blood cell count is getting low again.  I go by myself, so Steve can watch my early arrivals.

My visit is easy. Carolyn takes me in right away, and even though things are looking very busy, I am in and out very quickly.  Faye stops by to say hello and tells me she should be here for my next treatment.  The nurses here are always so cheerful and kind.

Since I got up late, I didn't remember to take any acetaminophen before my injection and never get to it during the day.  I don't seem to have any of the bone pain they have warned me about though.  I feel very tired by the end of the day, and my throat is starting to feel a little sore.  I decide to skip knitting this evening, and try to get to bed early.

I get my blog post done, and am in bed by nine thirty, but then I can't sleep.

I have these weird side effects lately, besides the tingles.  My tongue is swollen, which has caused me to bite the side of it, this hurts especially when I am eating.  Another odd thing occurs when I close my eyes to go to sleep, they relax and feel like they are pulled too tightly back into my head.  The only way to stop the pulling is to open my eyes, which feel like they have been sealed shut with glue.  I need to open and relax them again several times before I can fall asleep.  It feels like the problem I sometimes have with my thumbs locking up, like the muscle has contracted too much and it needs to relax.  It is very annoying when you are trying to fall asleep.

Wednesday, October 15

Today I understand what they mean by bone pain.  It is what I think of as bone tired.  The upper part of my legs, deep inside, feel so heavy and tired.  There is a dull ache that makes me want to sit down.  I take some acetaminophen, and it goes away.

My tongue still hurts, and now I notice that I am talking funny.

This is my night to go out with my friend Nancy, and I am craving a burger.  We decide to go to Burger Boys in Lincoln.  This is like Five Guys, but better, they also serve ice cream.  I get a shake, even though I know this is not the best idea.  I am still getting tingles in my throat from cold things, but I drink slowly and manage to get the whole thing down.

Thursday October 16

I am sleeping later and later, I get up at seven fifteen this morning!  I wonder if this is the cumulative effects of the chemo, or lack of exercise that is making me so tired.  Maybe it is both.

Today I have bonus kids.  Two children have the day off because President Obama is supposed to be at Rhode Island College today and two have the day off for Sukkot.  We have a busy day planned, with pumpkin painting, baking cookies and a rain walk.

Kaileigh is working late at the Boston Museum of Science this evening, so I decide to skip stained glass.  I am tired at the end of the day, and not sure if that sore throat feeling is a side effect of my shot on Tuesday, or if I am coming down with something.  Better to say home and take it easy.

1 comment:

  1. Tell your nurses about the swollen tongue and when it happens. May be nothing, but could be allergic reaction

    ReplyDelete